How to Dress Like David Lee Roth
David Lee Roth has enviable style and class. This guide will help you achieve your goal of being as glamorous as Van Halen's first, and best, lead singer was during the '70's and early '80's.
Elements of Dave's style are all things glittery, shiny, and sequined. He is well known for his over-the-top outfits.
Tight pants are a must, the tighter, the better. He wears spandex pants almost all of the time.
Dave wears Capezio dance shoes during his performances, because he jumps around a lot. However, platforms are a good option and are very "Dave". Anything shiny will work.
As for shirts, anything goes. T-shirts, button-downs, anything. In some music videos, he wears a t-shirt layered with a mesh top.
He famously wore an ankle-length, purple sequin coat during Van Halen's 1983 U. S. Festival performance.
Accessories are an important part of Dave's style. He wears a Van Halen necklace, but sometimes defects and wears a big "D" pendant on a chain. The more necklaces, bracelets, rings, the better. Scarves are also a big part of his wardrobe. He also always wears a bandana tied around his wrist,and also sometimes wears bandanas on his leg and around his neck, sometimes several at a time.
Diamond Dave is famous for his hair. It is long and flowing, dyed a brilliant shade of blond. If you don't want to dye the whole thing blond, just dye a stripe down the back blond. The latter is how Dave wore his hair as a teen; the skunk stripe.
As many glam rockers did in the '70's-'80's, Dave wore lots of makeup, particularly eyeliner.
- Look up the videos for Jump & Just A Gigolo on YouTube. These really show you how Dave dresses and acts.
- Be really flashy! And stay frosty...
- Dave's style will look strange to most people today. If you want to do this, be prepared to not care what people think.
- Looking at pictures of Dave and Van Halen will help you nail the style.
- There is no such thing as going overboard with the DLR style! Have fun!