How to Dress Like Emily the Strange
Emily the Strange is a fictional character, famous for her kick butt attitude, gang of black cats and striking appearance. Emily the Strange is a massive success, particularly within the gothic community, with her own books, comics, clothing line, stationary, and movie. Emily the Strange's look is a memorable, unique and bold one, and copying it for Halloween or a special event isn't that difficult.
Get her hair. Emily has black hair with a blunt fringe, though recently she has been drawn with slightly thinner bangs. You can wear a wig, or, if you have black hair, straighten it and leave it loose. If you have very dark brown hair then you can also straighten and leave it, though a wig would give you a better look. Make sure your fringe or bangs stop just before your eyes and are thick and straight.
Pick your Emily style. There are two Emily the Strange styles: The first one is just a sleeveless black dress and the second is a sleeveless black dress with a white cotton, long sleeve tee. If you live in a cold area, this is recommended. If not, try the sleeveless.
Choose some tights. Emily also wears either black tights or purple tights. Black tights are usually easier; make sure they are a proper black and not faded.
Pick some shoes. Emily wears big white Mary Jane's, but you don't have to copy this exactly. You can wear either white ballet flats or Mary Jane shoes. Low top white Converse shoes are acceptable. Make sure whatever you wear is plain white, as this is supposed to set off the black/white contrast.
- A black eyeliner and some subtle mascara could help.
- If you don't own any dresses, a black tank top with a knee height (non-pleated) black skirt is fine.
- Emily loves her sling shot. If you can, have one with your costume.
- Make you complexion pale by dusting some white powder/foundation very lightly over it; this isn't very important, but if you really want to get the proper look, it could help.
- Wearing a light amount of black lipstick is fine.
- When applying whitening foundation, be sure that you don't overdo it. You should have a pale, smooth complexion, not a greasepaint clown look.
Things You'll Need
- Black sleeveless dress
- Black or purple tights
- White shoes
- Slingshot (Optional)
- Black wig with bangs/hair straightener