How to Dress Like Invader Zim for Halloween
This page was written to give help on how to dress as Invader Zim for Halloween. Pre-made Invader Zim costumes currently do not exist, and you have to make your own. This begins with an introduction to Invader Zim, then moves on to the steps. Invader Zim is a small, green alien from the planet Irk. He was banished when he messed up Impending Doom I for the army. He eventually escaped his banishment to Foodcourtia and said he had "quit" it and came to the "Great assigning" to get a mission and prove to his leaders he was worthy of being an invader. However, they doubted him, and tried to talk him out of it. But Zim was persistent. So, instead, they gave him a fake mission to an imaginary planet. "...Nobody has ever heard of it. And those who have heard of it dare not speak its name." "What's its name?" "Oh, I dare not speak it!". They gave him a faulty SIR unit, GIR. "what does the G. Stand for? Even GIR doesn't know." The two of them set out, looking for the planet. The leaders had hopes of Zim dying. But, instead, he did find a planet: Earth. Now, together with GIR, Zim goes to school on Earth observing their behavior and readying it for its doom.( In one of the last episodes Zim gets another sidekick besides GIR, named Mini Moose)
Gather your materials. Look at the things you'll need section of this page.
Put on your shirt. This is because you will dye your hair next, and not stain the shirt when you put it over your head.
Dye your hair with temporary green hair dye that will easily wash out.
Slip in each contact carefully. Make sure you can see out of them.
Do your make-up. Apply all over face and neck for best effects.
Pull on your socks/shoes.
Put on your kilt/skirt carefully.
Slip on your boots and zip/lace them up.
Put on antennae! Girls, wear curly alien antennae. Boys, wear regular antennae. Take a headband antennae (you can buy these at Target around Halloween, or at costume stores for higher quality) and carefully slip it onto the head downwards. You do NOT want it to be smeared when going across your hair.
Put on your arm warmers, followed with gloves. You put these on last so you don't have trouble with your boots (grabbing, lacing, etc.) and so make-up and/or hair dye does not get on them while applying.
Do not touch your hair or your face. It will smear on your gloves and arm-warmers and stain.
Grab up your treat bag (if you are going trick-or-treating or a-souling)and your lovable plushie side-kick and head out the door. your ready to go!!!
- Get a treat bag (if you are trick-or-treating or a-souling) with the Irken symbol on it.
- Bring along a plushie to add to the effect--Mini moose, robot bee, or GIR.
- red sunglasses from the party store will work too if you can't get red contacts.
- Bring along an extra pair of shoes, if possible. If you need to change into them for any reason--whether you'll be running, walking longer distances, or just taking them off for a while--Sneakers or shoes are just the thing--in case you have any accidents.
- On the eyes, use green eye shadow. On the lips, use black lipstick if you have it.
- DO not get your hair excessively wet until it is time to wash up or you will ruin the hair; the water will wash it out and become runny and sticky.
- Make-up can smear, especially on lips and face.
- Take precautions with your boots. High heels are not good for running or walking long distances. If they are too high, you might have to take them off and run, and that's no fun.
- Read the back of the green makeup container CAREFULLY. Some colors should not be applied to the lips or near the eye area.
- Do not rub your eyes.
Things You'll Need
Genders (both genders will need these items)
- Green makeup
- Red striped shirt (preferably with darker red stripes or lightly striped in black, but heavy stripes work, too. This will be the top part of the Irken uniform.)
- Long Black gloves
- Long black boots
- green hair dye/spray
- red contacts
- curly alien antennae
- solid red skirt
- Black socks/hose
- glittery make-up (goes over the base)
- Long eyelashes (optional)
- Solid red kilt
- Black socks; thigh highs work best.
- Normal alien Antennae