How to Dress Like Nicki Minaj
Nicki Minaj is not only a platinum artist, but also a style icon. Her rap videos feature bright, outlandish costumes, earning her the nickname “Harajaku Barbie.” She prefers form-fitting clothing and designer fashion, so in order to dress like Nicki Minaj you must be confident a gutsy with your wardrobe choices.
Start with a base layer of bright underwear. Choose a pushup bra and pair of panties that can be worn under tight clothing.
Visit Kmart. Nicki Minaj designed a line for Kmart that included patterned legging and shirt sets, bodycon dresses and deconstructed denim. Minaj loves animal prints and patterns worn head to toe.
- You can purchase each piece for $12 to $50, making it one of your least expensive options.
Try H&M or Forever 21 if you want to collect stylish separates that are similar to her designer threads. The following are good choices:
- Patterned tights. The more outlandish the better. Minaj has worn stained glass, chain link, color block and animal print leggings.
- Jeans that are pre-distressed or jeans you can distress yourself. Choose high-waisted jeans, jean shorts and denim jackets. Matching denim and denim jackets are preferred.
- Pick short skirts over long ones. With leggings on, the shorter the better.
- Choose fluorescent colors in shades of pink, green or yellow.
Buy a bodycon dress. These tight fitting “bandage” dresses are made to hug curves and enhance cleavage. You can buy a bodycon dress with cutouts similar to one that Minaj wore herself at Ax Paris.
Find some fashion-forward high heels. Minaj usually wears four to eight inch heels. Although she is often seen in Giuseppe Zanotti heels that cost over $1,500, you can shop new styles by Fergie and Jessica Simpson. Try shoe warehouses, like DSW, to find designer heels at discount prices.
- If you can’t find stiletto heels, opt for platform boots and booties.
Pack a bright purse. Choose leather, metal studs and bright colors. Gold accessories and chains will also work.
Wear a hat. As part of her Kmart collection, Minaj has created military-style hats adorned with gold chains and studs. Find a hat at a thrift store and decorate it yourself.
Pick chains, pendants, bangles and dangling earrings. You can favor fashions from the 1980s with enamel and gold highlights. Don’t be afraid to wear all these items at once.
Purchase a wrist cuff. It can be gold, studded leather or patterned.
Styling Hair and Makeup
Bleach your hair. Minaj has worn long, cropped and mid-length styles in blond for several years. It allows her to dye her hair bright colors more easily.
Dye your hair a bright color. If you have blond, long or cropped hair, consider dying it fluorescent pink, green or several colors at once. Semi-permanent dyes may allow you to change it frequently, just like the rap-star does.
Cut straight bangs. The cut should been extremely straight, with the sides at 90 degree angles to the fringe. If you can’t pull off this look, buy a cropped bright-colored wig to create a more convincing look.
- If you don’t want bangs, wear your hair long and part it in the center.
- Keep it straight most of the time. Although she occasionally has worn wavy hair, she is usually seen with stick straight hair.
Wear your hair in pigtails. You can achieve a Harajaku schoolgirl look with this style.
Purchase fake lashes. You can find them at large makeup stores like Sephora and Ulta.
Do heavy cat eye makeup. Use a black liquid eyeliner. Start near the inside of your top lid and draw a line that extends outside your eye line.
Fill in your lids with bright blue, aqua or green eye shadow.
Pick a bright pink blush and lipstick. If you are wearing your Minaj outfit during the day, you can also pick a nude color.
Things You'll Need
- Bright underwear
- Kmart Nicki Minaj collection
- Bodycon dress
- Patterned legging
- Deconstructed denim
- Stiletto/platform heels
- Wrist cuff
- Large earrings
- Semi-permanent hair dye
- Cropped wig
- Fake lashes
- Liquid eye liner
- Blue eye shadow
- Pink blush
- Pink/nude lipstick