How to Dress Like a Character off Skins
Have you ever adored the way the characters of channel 4 show Skins dress, and have hoped to find your own way of interpreting it? This article will show you how to dress like a character of Skins, with your own unique twist.
Think about your personality. Skins characters are always dressed with their personalities in mind, so think of what kind of person you are. Are you sweet and childish, or are you more grungy and dark? Perhaps you're outgoing or maybe you're shy? All of these things, and more, can contribute to your outfits.
Try and pick out certain elements of your personality to focus on, for example, if you're very naive, you may want to focus on your childish aspect and head for very bold prints and lots of pastel colours.
Match elements of your personality to clothing. If you're very scatter-brained, you might want to add a lot of clashing colours, such as a polka-dot dress with floral tights, whereas if you're angsty or dark, you might want to wear a lot more dark clothing like t-shirts with wolves on it or fishnet tights.
If you'd like, find a character's style to emulate (but not completely copy! They're all original.) For boys, Tony is preppy, Sid just wears random clothing (along with his essential beanie), Chris likes to clash colors and patterns for his typical wild party boy look, Anwar is more hip-hop inspired, Maxxie is very dance inspired, etc.
- For the girls, Cassie wears lots of vintage inspired things and clashes colors, but in a pretty, sweet way. Wear your hair curly, and also wear long skirts and high socks. Kurt Cobain type of glasses, hats, sparkly 20's style dresses and gold oxfords. Michelle always just wants to look "shaggable", so wear tight pants, cleavage showing off shirts, lots of metallics, and strappy shoes. Jal layers a lot of clothing and sticks to yellows, greens, and browns. Katie likes to wear tight clothes, animal print skirts, and she likes to show off her cleavage. She tries to be very sexy. Emily, on the other hand, is more girly and wears vintage inspired clothes, bows, shorts and tights, and bright colors. Pandora is very childish and this shows through her clothes. She completely mismatches. Wear a bright yellow striped shirt with a floral dress. Basically, she looks like a 3 year old on acid. Naomi likes to clash a little more, but in a way where it still looks good. She'll wear 2 patterns, but they'll share a colour so it doesn't look like an eyesore. Lastly is Effy. Effy is very dark and this shows in her clothes. In the first season, she wears kind of an emo style with clothing that show off her body and striped red and black stripes (But this is only a night/not at school, for parties and such). Later, she develops more of a punk/grungy look, long black t-shirts, biker boots, lots of black and studded bracelets, big blue blazers, and lots of gold necklaces.
If you're a girl, try to do your hair and make-up like the characters. Cassie-long, blonde, wavy, or crimped, with colorful make up (light green eyeshadow, red lips). Michelle-medium length very curly hair, simple, but sexy eyeliner and lip gloss. Jal is very minimal, perhaps just foundation and mascara, and she has her hair in a ponytail. Katie uses liquid eyeliner, and she styles her hair as smooth red hair that flips at the end with bangs. Emily is similar to Katie; liquid eyeliner, red hair with bangs that are a bit asymmetrical, and pale skin. They both have a beauty mark on their cheek. Naomi has short blond bob, sometimes with a braid on the side of her face. Effy has medium length brown hair, usually straight, tousled, wavy, or teased for parties. Her make up is either a natural (just put on foundation if you're wary of wearing none), light, smokey eye consisting of silver and black eyeliner, or very dark and heavy make up. Always wear light lip gloss, sometimes red if you want to. She has dark nails as well.
- Be confident in what you're wearing. If you feel ashamed of your outfit once you step outside of your house, it's not doing it's job properly, so always feel comfortable in what you're wearing, and feel gorgeous!
- Always stay true to yourself. Your outfit is to match the real you, so always wear things you feel comfortable in and that others would associate with you.
Be confident in yourself, because nothing speaks out about your personality more than your personality! Don't be afraid to say what you feel.
- Take control of your clothes, don't let them take control of you. If you're wearing preppy clothes all of a sudden, and you feel like you have to act a certain way to fit in with your outfit, you've gone wrong. The idea of dressing like a character from Skins is to express little bits of your personality through your clothes.
- Find inspiration through pictures. Get some pictures of Skins characters that you like so you can draw inspiration from it every day.
- Don't copy. Skins characters are original (for the most part). Don't completely copy a character's look, be yourself. Add a little bit of you into the mix. For example, Effy's got a great style, but sometimes she shows too much skin, which can be shown as tacky. Or Effy's character is played by Kaya Scodelario, a model. So if you have to have bigger hips, wear dark pants instead of white and black ones or ripped up ones, and focus more on your upper body more. Or if you have big breasts, don't wear the cut up shirts she always wears. If you do, make sure you have a tank top underneath just in case.
- Don't try to be something you're not. Stay true to yourself. Don't become someone you aren't. The idea of dressing like a Skins character is that you bare your personality to the world and express your quirks.
- Don't wear something you're not comfortable in.
- Be aware of discrimination, as some people may not like the way you dress because of tribes or gangs in the area.
- Don't offend anyone. It may be in your nature to be rebellious, but wearing a t-shirt with an offensive slogan, or wearing skimpy or tight clothing to places where it is frowned upon (like school or church) will only get you into trouble and won't make you feel any better.
Things You'll Need
- Clothes you feel comfortable (and gorgeous) in