How to Dress Like a Cowgirl
Cowgirl attire is both practical and fashionable, blending touches of femininity, masculinity, and down-home Southern charm. Read this article to learn how to master this timeless look!
Start with a pair of worn-in jeans. The jeans should be fitted. (Straight leg or bootcut) (NO SKINNY JEANS)Alternatively, you can wear cutoff denim shorts or a denim skirt.
Wear a plaid button-up shirt. These shirts can either be short-sleeved or long-sleeved, and come in a variety of colors.
- Roll the sleeves of your button-up at your elbows.
- You can also wear a simple fitted tank-top or t-shirt either underneath the button-up, or instead of it.
Find a Western-style cowboy hat. These kinds of hats come in black, brown, tan, and white.
Get a pair of cowboy boots. Traditionally, cowboy boots are made of leather, but are also available in faux-leather and exotic skins like alligator, snake, and buffalo. These boots also come in a variety of toe styles: round toe, square toe, or pointed toe.
- If you plan on wearing your boots in muddy or wet conditions, consider getting a pair with rubber soles.
You can wear your hair down, or in a low ponytail.
Tie a bandana around your neck. Traditional cowboys and cowgirls alike used bandanas to absorb their sweat while working on the ranch. Nowadays, bandanas are mostly worn as a fashion statement.
- Tie the bandana behind your neck so that the triangle part is facing your front.
Wear a Western-style belt. Cowgirl belts are usually made of brown leather, and have large silver, gold, or turquoise buckles. For extra flare, find one with braided or medallion embellishments.
- Consider buying cowboy boots, belts, and hats second-hand from a thrift store, as they can be quite expensive.
- Wear little to no makeup on your face. Authentic cowgirls are au-natural.
- Opt for faux-leather when possible.