How to Dress Like a Nerd
Whether you are getting ready for a themed party or simply want to change up your style, this article will help you channel your inner nerd!
Get some glasses. Horn-rimmed glasses have become such a nerdy staple that people often refer to them as "nerd glasses." Find a pair in black or dark brown, and for an added touch, wrap some tape around the nose bridge to achieve the illusion that they are broken.
- If you can't find a pair with thick rims, then any pair of reading glasses will do. Be sure that they are the right prescription, or are prescription-free if you don't wear glasses.
Wear nerdy prints. Checkers, plaid, and argyle are the triple threat when it comes to "geeky" or "school-nerd" style. Try to find a sweater, vest, skirt, or dress in one of these prints.
- You can also try striped and polka dotted patterns. Try mix-and-matching a few different prints. The more they clash with one another, the better!
Wear a collared shirt. The shirt should be buttoned up, and preferably tucked into a pair of pants or a skirt. Wear a collared shirt underneath a vest or sweater if you have one, and have the neck collar and sleeves showing.
- Try a plain white dress shirt, a plaid or checkered button-up, or a collared t-shirt in any color.
Get a pair of trousers. Ideally, your pants should be high-rise and cut just above the ankle (like a capri) so that your socks are visible underneath them. Stick with simple colors like black, grey, and brown.
Find the right shoes. Try a pair of dress shoes or loafers in black or brown. You can also dress down your outfit with a pair of sneakers like Chuck Taylors or Vans. Try to find a pair in a bright color like red, blue, green or purple.
Accessorize. Once you have nailed the basic look, use some accessories to play up your outfit.
- Carry books, pencils, pens, and/or a backpack with you. If your shirt has a breast pocket, then stick some pens inside of it.
- Wear suspenders. Try to find a standout color or pattern like red, purple, neon green, checkers or rainbow.
- Wear either a standard tie or a bow tie with your collared shirt. Again, you can keep the color scheme simple for a more reserved look, or choose funky patterns and textures if you want to channel the 90s nerd style.
- Choose the right socks. If you are wearing a dress, try white knee-high or thigh-high socks; for pants and shorts, try a pair of dress socks in white or argyle. Whatever type of sock you choose, make sure to pull them up so that they are visible!
- You don't always have to be ugly to be a "nerd"
- Try hitting a thrift store to find quirky suspenders, bow ties, and sweaters.
- Nerdy style is very similar to "hipster" style, especially for men. Try checking out stores like Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, or American Apparel for a cheap pair of horn-rimmed non-prescription glasses and for an endless supply of plaid items.