How to Dress Like a Spartan
Seen the movie 300? Wanted to look like a Spartan? Well, now you can!
Make or hire some armor. The Spartans weren't actually bare chested (as in in 300). They wore bronze muscular armor or linothorax. Making the linothorax is probably the easiest if you're going to make your own. Hiring is probably the best option if you don't know how to make the armor.
- Wear leather underpants. If you don't have any, paint one pair of undies brown (no boxers, only briefs).
Make or hire a helmet. To make one:
- Heat a piece of bronze and hammer a helmet with an exposed face. Forge a face guard (or buy one).
- Attach the face guard to your helmet.
If you want, you can buy fake black hair and make a plume. You can also make one out of tin foil and paint it bronze.
Make a red cape. When you wear it, use a fancy metallic brooch to pin the cape with.
Wear sandals. It doesn't matter what kind as long as they're leather.
Make a shield. You can either forge bronze or use cardboard and plate it with tinfoil, then paint. Remember that Spartan shields were round and had an upside down "V" on the bottom. If you're not sure, search online for some images to guide you.
Make, hire or buy a pretend sword. If you are going around with a sword, also have a belt and sheath/small loop. The spartan sword is small, like . For more details, see How to make a wooden sword.
Get some greaves. Greaves protect the tibia against attack. Again, you could make your own bronze greaves if you know how to forge metal. Alternatively, make them out of foil and color.
Try to get a spear, too. Swords were more of a secondary weapon, just in case the spear broke or got lost. The spear is the easiest to make: Buy a wooden stick around long. Sharpen one end.
- A professional way to make a spear points can be found at: http://300dc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884.
- If you don't have enough time, this is another way to make a more "nooby" spear: chuck-does-art.blogspot.com.es/2011/10/diy-spartan-hoplite-costume-how-to-make.html.
Develop a "6-pack". If this isn't possible, wear a fake one or draw one on cardboard and tape it on your chest.
- Do not try to pull this off if you are fat, except maybe for comedic effect.
- Try to sound manly if you're a kid, but don't make a fool out of yourself.
- Go around yelling stuff like "This is Sparta!".
- Avoid getting into fights unless your spear is real (try not to hurt anyone unless it's for self defence).
- Wear a fake beard (Leonidas had black hair and beard in 300).
- If you're forging for real, be careful! Make sure you are with an experienced and responsible adult.
Things You'll Need
- Bronze sheets
- Red cloth
- Fake black hair (optional)