How to Dress Like an Old School Emo
Can't stand the new scene? Are you tired of the drab and dull music which has become passed off under the Emo genre? Here's a way to get yourself in the style of the older generation, back when the genre still matched it's emotional-hardcore roots.
Get the pants. Flat fronted or tight jeans the staples. Cuff them once.
Get the shoes. Wear a pair of chucks. Tatty is preferential, you don't need brand new shoes here, they're just a waste of money and time
Get the top. There are several options here:
- Band shirts are a classic choice. Try older emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, Pg 99, Saetia, Jimmy Eat World, Drive Like Jehu, etc.
Get the extra stuff if you want. If you have bad vision, you're in luck!
- Thick, black-rimmed glasses are very in vogue. Wear yours with pride. If you don't need glasses, either don't wear them or get non-prescription ones. And make sure that you get lots of bracelets and wristbands, and wear them all at once. Fingerless gloves, studded belts, bandanas, dog tags, and rubber bracelets work well.
Get the right type of music.
- Rites of Spring
- Moss Icon
- Indian Summer
- The Sea, The Sea
- Twelve Hour Turn
- I Hate Myself
- Belle Epoque
- Antioch Arrow
- Amanda Woodward
- Aussitôt Mort
- American Football
- Make sure you actually listen to the band if you're going to wear the merchandise.
- Back then, emo was still known by its full/real name, which is emotive hardcore.
- Never go anywhere without your messenger bag, notebooks, and doodling utensils.
- You'll get extra awesome points if you doodle on the cuffs of your jeans, on your messenger bag, and your notebooks.
- To avoid being called a poser, try getting into the music scene. That's how the whole emo thing started off. Start with Rites of Spring, and go from there.
- Make sure you understand that Emo is a very diverse genre, which can lurch from indie-influenced, to post-rock influenced groups. Be willing to accept change.
- People who openly admit to liking emo music do cop a fair amount of flak. Aim to have thick skin, it'll be in your best interests.
Things You'll Need
- Tight jeans
- Band shirts
- Cropped hair
- Finger less Gloves
- Crazy accessories -girls- (Hair Bows, Neckties,ect)-guys- (bandanas, dog tags)
- Converse shoes or vans
- Music (emo)
- Messenger bag filled with notebooks and pens or pencils
- Glasses with thick rims
- Rubber bracelets and other jewelry mentioned