How to Dress Modern Vintage
Modern vintage is like Kate Moss, Sienna Miller, Peaches Geldof; A mixture of vintage and high street clothing (that's popular modern clothing for American folks). Here's a how-to article on achieving the modern vintage look also called vintage inspired or vintage style.
Decide what type of vintage style you would like. Do you want to look like a modern flapper? Do want to have a little something from the 50s or 30s? Maybe you want to have a little Victorian style.
Have your hair very long or very short. It depends on the decade you want to convey. If you're going for the 20s then bobs were all the rage. But instead of cutting it in all one length have some edgy layers for a fun modern twist. If you want to keep your long hair that's fine too! Beachy waves are a cute style for long hair that looks lovely with vintage and modern clothes alike. But don't be afraid to try something new! Vintage is unique and different.
Wear dresses from vintage shops or thrift stores. Vintage shops are pricier but it is easier to find items you like. Thrift stores are cheaper but they have so many clothes and it can be hard to find exactly what you are looking for. Wearing floral dresses that are slightly loose is a good idea, but the dresses should not be too short (think to your knees, or higher, but well below your crotch!) You can also buy vintage style modern clothing. New clothes often mimic old style such as full swing dress skirts, shirtwaist dresses, halter top dresses, or layered flapper style dresses. Often vintage looking new clothes come in more sizes and better prices than genuine vintage clothing.
Buy vintage jackets or cardigan sweaters. Cardigan sweaters are great and very comfy. Leather (or faux leather) jackets are always a must have in any wardrobe. Loose cardigan sweater are most popular as the look more "worn" and old fashioned, and are great for layering with other pieces.
Wear old-fashioned necklaces. Pearl necklaces, (You can get great fake ones as getting real ones is very pricey), a gold locket, or just a lot of long layered necklaces are some great examples. For more ideas of what you want Google vintage jewelry.
Choose shoes. Shoes should be modern; Think high heels, modern chunky shoes or sandals. Oxfords are a great choice that look great with many outfits, but usually cost a bit more.
Wear slip dresses. Slip dresses are are very vintage looking. Just make sure you wear one that suits your body and makes you feel great! Pair the slip dress with a sweater or leather jacket, and wear ankle boots with it. If it's too hot for boots wear Oxfords or something like that.
Wear high waisted skirts. High waisted skirts are great. They are very popular in vintage clothes, and are still seen today. They're flattering and go with lots of different tops, so stock up!
Add tights and leggings. Pair them with dresses, long shirts, or wear them under shorts for a unique look. It doesn't matter what color or pattern, but try to get ones that go with your clothes. Try to buy tights/leggings in materials that are suitable for both cold and warm weather so you can wear them year-round.
Try maxi skirts and dresses (Long, foot/ankle length). These are very popular and a great choice for summer. Pair dresses them with a cute vest, sandals and a headband for a cute, vintage-inspired summer outfit.
- Get clothes from thrift stores- all found at a low price, plus you're helping the environment.
- Feel free to mix and match clothing and accessories from different decades and modern too. Be your own fashion trendsetter.
- Skinny or slim-cut jeans are essential. They act as a modern canvas to your more elaborate vintage shirts and accessories.
- Get old vintage jewelry/clothes from your parents or grandparents, there is a lot to be found in their piles of old and much-loved clothing!
- Look at old pictures to get inspired. See how people dressed in the photos and take elements from your favorite outfits- be it a floaty vintage shirt, shirt dress, or even bell bottoms. Just make sure not to copy their outfits completely- you're going for modern, here.
- You can dress like your idol, but do try to keep some of your own personal touches- add in things that you love and make you feel special.