How to Dress Nerdy or Preppy (for Girls)
This article is for girls who like that preppy/nerdy look but that are not totally nerdy...this look is 'soft-nerd'.
This look is all about dressing fresh, clean, classic and slightly nerdy. To really succeed at this look you need to tone down any highly sexy clothes and save them for the nighttime - this makes your sexy clothes look hotter and more effective in comparison to your everyday preppy/nerd look
Invest in some basics of this look. Buy some classic polo shirts in your favorite colors. Go for a longer length in them as traditional 'square' ones look a bit too sporty. Also buy some dark, uniform wash jeans, think navy or black, in a boot cut, straight or skinny leg. Remember to alter this to your shape.
Sweaters and cardigans are a good idea too but do not wear them too long or you verge on looking like a grandmother. Knitted mini dresses with dark opaque tights make a very good look for winter. Man-style shirts and traditional ladies shirts look cool with denims and mini skirts - wear them buttoned high. Peter pan collars are an excellent and more feminine version of a traditional polo shirt.
Tailored shorts(they can be short shorts! ) look really good during the summer months but do not team them with high heels!! You can wear them with Keds-style pumps, trainers or a preppy espadrille wedge shoe.
On that note footwear should comprise of cute pumps. ..most pumps are cute so you can be adventurous with colors. Low profile trainers like Keds, simple Nikes, Adidas or eco-sneaks look good.
Avoid brash slogan t-shirts but buy a couple of cute cartoon and branded t-shirts i. e. coca cola, superman etc.
A loosely fitted mannish blazer or a cropped tan/black suede or leather jacket look quite edgy nerd.
- Girls who like their handbags can still use them but leave the big ugly backpacks and messenger bags at home please (Yes, I know they are a staple of a traditional nerds wardrobe but they take the whole hint of modest sexiness away from the look!)
- Plastic jewelry complements this look especially, but not see through as this looks super cheap. Think of hard plastic rings carved in rose shapes or creamy and navy plastic beads. Avoid pearls at all costs because they look too motherly and posh...You do not want to look too high maintenance.
- All clothes here are modern takes on classics with low profile but cute dressing at times. Avoid quaint and lady-like floral prints, it takes the whole modern edge off things.
- You can use any color you want but try and steer clear of nasty super neon bright clothing. It goes out of fashion quickly and if you still feel the need to wear it save it for the nighttime.
- Do not plaster on seven different shades of eyeshadow . . . Stick to blemish-free clean, pure looking skin, if you already have it that is great, but if you don't use a foundation that matches your skin tone exactly. A black/brown/navy/dark purple/dark green liquid eyeliner swept across the top lashes looks super fresh and sexy with a slick of lip stain or gloss.
- Do not drown out any hint of sexiness . . . The look is relatively modest but not achingly sweet and cute. Have a look of on the edge modern dressing.
- It is key to remember that this look does not translate too well into parties or the night. Ditch it for these occasions.
- Avoid fake tan like the plague unless you tan naturally. Keep shimmers and bronzers for the nighttime.