How to Dress Originally
People who dress according to a particular trend or style are going to get stick from someone- just look on the discuss pages for anything to do with looking Emo/Goth/Grunge/Prep/Gangster if you don't think that's true! Face it- whatever you wear, somebody will have something to say about it. The answer? Wear what YOU want!
First you have to break down any stereotypical barriers that may distract you from dressing originally. Don't let music or friends and especially the media influence you when you shop.
Buy what you can afford. Expensive labels are fine if that's what you're into, but think about how many other people could be wearing the same thing. The less known, the better. Obscure brands are almost always cheaper, too.
Shop either on your own or with someone who won't influence what you buy.
Customizing your clothes is the only true way to be COMPLETELY original. Even if you're not experienced with a sewing machine, most dry cleaners offer a sewing/tailoring service, or you could buy iron-on transfers. You may also want to consider borrowing some sewing books from your library (they have many good books on clothing reconstruction) or taking a few introductory classes. Basic sewing knowledge will go far in improving the originality of your style.
Raid your cupboard for old or badly-fitting clothes and alter them in any way you want. You'll be surprised how much clothes can improve--cut the arms off long sleeve tops or turn a long skirt into a mini.
Flea markets and second-hand shops are priceless for one-of-a-kind clothes and shoes.
Recycle things that you don't need to make original accessories- bright shoelaces can be used as an alice band or a wristband. Try making random objects like pencils, can-rings, small clothes pegs or paper clips into earrings. Imagination is key!
- Let criticism bounce off you and try to develop thick skin.
- Keep an open mind. Just because someone dresses differently does not give you the right to judge them and think you know what they are like. We are all the same underneath, our outward appearances are what is different..
- Think 'different'!
- Dress for you, not for anyone else. You are your own person.
- Comfort over style. Don't wear those shoes that stop your blood from flowing, just because it's original! Always try to be unique WITHOUT hurting yourself from style!!
- Don't be possessive of your style. Although it may be annoying, you can't jump down someone's throat for copying what you wear. Take it as an complement.