How to Dress Unique but Still Look Balanced
So, you want to dress like an uber-fashionista. Layers, colors, and cute accessories! You can try that... but the balanced way!
Determine what colors you'll be wearing. If you are going to try three colors, stick to one basic color, like tan, black, white, or navy blue and wear it at least twice. You can then choose two other colours that will work with the neutral eg. navy blue looks good with pinks and greens.
Determine the shape of your top, an add accessories with that. If you're wearing a tube-top, wear a long necklace. If your wearing a regular t-shirt,just a lot of bracelets piled up on one arm. Make sure that if you have a flowy top have tighter bottoms or vice-versa
Give your self a signature item. For example, a necklace, a bracelet or a headband. It's better if no one else has the same thing so consider shopping in thrift stores or vintage shops
Find a few pairs of shoes that work with everything. If you're a girl, some tennis shoes, ballet flats, and medium heels. For guys, sneakers, work shoes, and dress shoes. Preferably all black or a neutral dark brown color.
shop in vintage shops or thrift stores, sometimes you can even find cut-price designer wear. Another way of finding a great individual item is to find a unique handmade item either online or in a market place
High-waisted skirts are really in at the moment. American apparel have some really good basic skirts that you can buy in neutrals and mix with some brighter tops. Urban outfitters also have patterned skirts that you can mix with basic coloured tops
- Read fashion magazines often to see what looks work
- Keep shoes and other accessories a neutral to balance out one or two brighter colors that you change up each day
- Find a style icon and be influenced by their looks such as Alexa Chung or Mary-Kate Olsen
- Add your own personal twist
- Find a signature accessory preferably vintage or one-of-a-kind and wear it often.
- Don't overdo it.
- Change it up a bit at a time, so you don't freak everyone out.
Things You'll Need
- A great personal style sense.
- Neutral shoes like ballet flats, converse, tennis shoes, medium heels, dress shoes
- Cute accessories
- A signature item
- High-Waisted skirts
- Some neutral and some bright clothes