How to Dress Up Like Shirley Temple for Halloween
Shirley Temple, being an iconic child actress, would be a very recognizable costume for a party or for Halloween. Maybe you want to dress up as Shirley Temple, or maybe your child wants to. Either way, this article will help you figure out the perfect Shirley Temple costume.
Get the iconic hair. Without the Shirley Temple hair, you'll just look like a little girl in a dress. There are multiple ways to achieve Shirley's adorable curly hair:
- Curl it with rollers. Take a shower or get your hair wet, and then roll your hair in perm curlers. Sleep with the perm curlers on or wear them all day, then take them out.
- Put your hair in pin curlers. Again, get your hair wet, and then take sections, twist each one into a bun, and secure it with a bobby pin. Do this until all of your hair is pinned up. Let it air-dry and then take them out.
- Curl it. If you have a curling iron, you could curl your hair with that. Just make sure to put some hairspray/hold spray in your hair afterwards so that the curls don't flop.
- Buy a wig. Find a Shirley Temple wig, or a similar wig, and then put it on your head before the party/before you go out.
- Use only bobby pins, wet your hair.Then put it up in buns in sections. Let that dry. When this is complete take out the bobby pins and hair spray your do so it stays.
Find a dress. It should be a simple, bell-shaped or A-line dress. Think babydoll while looking for the style of the dress. It should look old-fashioned, so consider shopping at thrift stores or vintage stores. The colour doesn't really matter - plaid or polka-dots is fine too, but remember to keep it simple.
Consider buying some bloomers. Bloomers are optional, as they're worn under your dress, so not very many people will see them. However, Shirley Temple did always wear while bloomers under her dress, so if you're going for the full Shirley Temple look, they're a nice thing to have.
Buy some cute socks. Shirley Temple also wore little white ankle-socks. They were usually either lace-bordered socks or cuffed socks. Again, if you really want the complete Temple look, they're a must-have, and they're easy to find.
Find some Mary Janes. Another staple of Shirley Temple were her black Mary Janes. You could always see her dancing around in her Mary Janes. Find some black Mary Jane shoes to complete your Shirley Temple look.
- Look up images of Shirley Temple or watch her movies for more inspiration
Things You'll Need
- Curlers or wig
- Bloomers (optional)
- Mary Janes