How to Dress Up for a Fancy Occassion
If you have to go somewhere fancy, and don't know what to wear. Read this! There are also tips on preparing for the occasion - for you and for what you will wear.
Dont wear too big an outfit on a small occasion. If its just a small fancy-ish party go with a small go-with-the-flow dress or shirt and skirt
If its a pool party wear a nice bathing suite under a small dress.
For a formal occasion,(prom, debutante, graduation, or other kinds of Balls), wear formal, preferably a long gown. This will be especially so if "black tie" for men is stated.
You may occasionally be invited to a "Masked Ball", or a "Harlequin Ball". You would hire your outfit for these, (unless you are an extremely capable dressmaker).
During any party or occasion its most important to be your self! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- TIPS ON OUTFIT PREPARATION:-
- The occasion should be on a to-do list 3 days before.
- On day 1, do some window shopping for ideas. Then go home and check out what you already have.
- Later on day 1, decide on your outfit. If you need to buy something else, or new accessories, or make-up, do it now.
- Don't be afraid to ask someone else who is going what they will wear for the occasion.
- If you a wearing an existing favourite outfit, check it out - is it clean; is the hem stitched up; does it have all its buttons or fasteners?
- If it's a strappy dress, check the straps too.
- If there's a zip, make sure it's working.
- (Checking all these things is very important if they exist on your bathing suit.)
- On day 2, fix up any problems found on day 1. If there are none, check your accessories in the same way and carry out any repairs, shopping for parts or replacements if necessary.
- On day 3, the day before the event, try on your whole outfit - just to make sure you have missed nothing, and that it all fits!
- (If sewing is necessary, and you cannot sew, and don't know anyone who can, dressmakers, some dry-cleaners, or sometimes even a boutique will help out - for a fancy fee!
- If you buy new, get them to make any necessary alterations.
- At the end of the third day, having chosen and checked your outfit, make sure it is pressed. Nothing looks worse than a beautiful, flattering outfit that is creased and wrinkled.
- Doing things this way in a paced and purposeful manner will ensure that you, also, are prepared, and your outfit will reflect the care you have taken, increasing your self-assurance and poise. This is attractive.
- Having completed all these tasks, you are ready for the party!
- The Steps above will guide you in your choice of outfit.
- For a "fancy occasion", big or small, the preparation would be the same.
- if you wish to be look "fancy" to match the occasion, yet remain yourself, choosing and preparing your outfit in this way can help you achieve just that.)
- WARNING:- We all tend to wear fancy and probably expensive jewelry and/or accessories to these occasions,so checking them out (see tips for day 2) is very important. If a clasp or clip looks loose or faulty,and you can't get it fixed in time, leave the item in its box, and wear something else.