How to Dress an Apple Shape Body
If you have an apple-shaped body, then your body is "top heavy," meaning you have a wide torso, broad shoulders, and a full bust, waist, and upper back. Apple-shaped bodied women also tend to have thinner arms, legs, and hips, and tend to gain weight at their waistlines. If you have an apple shaped-body, then you should be proud of your full figure and get ready to flaunt it. But if you want to show off what you've got, you need to dress appropriately. If you want to know how to really dress to flatter your apple-shaped body, then follow these steps.
General Strategies for Dressing an Apple Shape
Make sure you have an apple-shaped body. Before you begin to think about dressing for your body type, you should confirm that you do indeed have an apple shaped body. Some people mistake a pear-shaped body for an apple-shaped body. An apple shaped-body is heavy in the middle and above the waist, while a pear-shaped body is heavier below the waist and in the upper thighs. Here are some other characteristics of the apple-shaped body:
- A wide torso
- Broad shoulders
- An average-to-fuller bust
- An undefined waist
- Thinner arms and legs
- A flat bottom
- Hips that are narrower than your bust
- You don't have to have a very large belly to be apple shaped -- it just means that your center of gravity, or your extra weight, resides in your belly area.
Draw attention away from your middle. To dress your apple-shaped body, you'll want to take attention away from your middle, since it's already full. To draw attention away from your middle, avoid low shorts or pants, high-cut shirts, or any fabric length that cuts off below or above your middle. You'll want to distract people from your middle by directing their attention elsewhere or by creating more definition in your waistline.
- You should also avoid wearing an outfit with a different pattern in the belly area. This will draw more attention to your belly.
- Avoid wearing thick belts, which will draw more attention to your middle.
- Avoid clingy shirts or dresses, which will also draw attention to your middle.
Emphasize your bust. If you have an apple-shaped body, then you must have a great bust, so don't be afraid to flaunt it. Showing off your bust will not only emphasize one of your most amazing features, but it will also take attention away from your middle. To emphasize your bust, you should wear v-necks, plunging necklines, or A-line dresses, to lengthen your body and draw attention to your bust.
- Wear shirts or dresses that flow from under your bust, expanding at the waist.
- Remember that drawing attention to your bust is different from looking top-heavy. You don't need to wear elaborate necklaces or tops with ornate patterns near the neck. You already have a great bust, so it needs no adornments.
Show off your legs. A great pair of legs often comes with the apple-shaped body. So, whether you're tall or on the shorter side, don't be afraid to show off your great legs. You can do this with a pair of short-shorts, or high heels that lengthen your body and balance out your bottom half.
- Don't minimize your legs by wearing big heavy boots, leggings, or skinny jeans. This will only make your gorgeous legs look smaller.
Wear a Flattering Top
Pay attention to the cut of your top. Whether you're wearing a top or a dress, there are a few rules for wearing a top that flatters your bust and draws attention from your waistline.
Wear: tops with v-necks, plunging necklines, strapless, scoop, or tops with narrow bodices. This will draw more attention to your bust and elongate your upper body.
Avoid: tops with a halter, very high necklines, decorated neckline, off-the shoulder cut, or boat neck. This will make your shoulders broader and will draw too much attention to your chest.
Choose the right material. Don't wear a material that is too clingy, especially in the middle area. You can wear a textured fabric, such as a woven material, to draw more attention away from your middle. T-shirts that are ruched in the middle will also give definition to your middle.
Choose the right shape. Though your shirt or top shouldn't be clingy, it shouldn't be boxy, baggy, or formless, either. If it's too loose, you'll only look more shapeless and your waist will look bigger. Instead, pick a shirt or top that flows downward from your bust, like a top with a high-waistline, empire waist, or A-line. Here are some things to keep in mind as you choose the shape of your top:
- A shirt or dress that has a tie at the waist will also help add definition to your figure.
- Your tops should fall lower than your hip bones.
- You can wear a long flowing top that falls below your bottom, or even a tunic shirt.
- Wear tops with flare or cuff sleeves.
- Choose a top with pretty shoulder details, like sequins or flowers.
Wear the right dress. There are a variety of dresses that can flatter the apple shape. Go for a dress that has an A-line or a continuous pattern on it. Another strategy is to find a dress that makes the most of color blocking -- a dress with black or dark colors going all the way down your figure at both sides with white or a lighter color going all the way down your figure in the middle will draw attention away from your waist.
- Don't wear a dress with a built-in waistline, or it will only draw more attention to your waist.
- You can pair your dress with a nice opened jacket that is nipped at the waist.
Pair your top with an appropriate jacket or coat. The right jacket can help camouflage your heavy midriff. You should wear a jacket that is single-breasted and doesn't have too many details. Wearing a structured jacket or coat will create curves in your chest and hips and will minimize your waist. Layering your top will help create balance for your figure. Here are some other things to try:
- Tailored blazers and coats
- Opened cardigans or waistcoats
- A duster coat that ends above the knee
Wear the Right Bottoms
Wear the right pants. You'll need to show off your legs to balance out your apple-shape. Drawing attention to your legs will help add more balance to your look. Don't downplay your legs by wearing skinny jeans, leggings, or any other too-tight fabric. This will make your legs look even smaller and will make your waist look even larger as a result. Here are some other tricks to try when choosing a pair of pants for your bottom half:
- Avoid pants that have a lot of zippers in the front, or this will draw more attention to your middle. Try to find a pair of pants with zippers on the sides instead.
- Wear pants with back pockets. This will create definition in your flatter bottom and will balance out your waist.
- Wear pants that are denim, trouser cut, flared, wide-legs, or boot cut.
Wear the right shorts. Don't be afraid to wear shorts just because of your fuller figure. A pair of short-shorts can show off your great legs and minimize your waist. You can even pair them with an elastic belt that isn't too bulky. You can wear them with nude sandals to create even more length.
- Go for the high-waisted cut. Anything cut low at the waist may create a "muffin top" and will only draw more attention to your middle. Pick a cut that nips your waistline, making it slimmer and more defined. This applies to pants too.
Wear the right skirt. A great skirt can help define your apple-shaped body. Try wearing a skirt that has a bias cut or an A-line, or flatter your figure with a full circle skirt. Avoid skirts that are tight around the waist or which fall at your natural waist. You can also wear a trumpet skirt or skirts with a hanky hem.
Wear the right shoes. If you have an apple-shaped body, then you should create balance on your lower body by wearing shoes that emphasize your legs. Here are some shoes to wear and some others to avoid:
Wear: platform shoes, wedges, calf-length boots, ballet flats, clogs, and strappy sandals. All of these will let you show off your legs and create a fuller bottom.
Avoid: kitten heels, buckle boots, Uggs, or any shoes that will make your feet look too big. This will in turn make your legs look smaller and draw even more attention to your waist.
- Avoid a clutch purse or shoulder bag, which will draw more attention to your waist.