How to Dress up As Erik (the Phantom) from the Phantom of the Opera
Have you ever wanted to dress up as Erik (the Phantom) from "The Phantom of the Opera"? Well, now you can just by following a few simple steps.
Decide which version of Erik you want to dress up as. There are several versions you can choose from. Some of them include the movie version, Broadway version, book version, etc... If you don't know what each look looks like, then Google "Erik from the Phantom of the Opera", and click Images. For example: Erik from the Phantom of the Opera, Broadway version"
Get the proper attire. Once you have decided which version of Erik you wish to dress up as, then find a black dress coat, black dress pants, and a white dress shirt that looks like what your version of Erik is wearing.
Find a long, black cape that looks like your version of Erik's cape. You can find a black cape at a thrift store, Party City, or at any other Halloween store. If you prefer to make your cape, you can also do that as well. A good place to find materials to make your cape is Joan's Fabric.
Find a white half mask (or a whole one) that looks like your version of Erik's mask. You can also make a white half mask for a lot less trouble depending on how much time you have. To do that, you must first find a white full mask with a rubber band along the back. (You can often find them at Michael's.) Then, carefully remove one end of the rubber band from the left side of the mask. Next, you cut the mask from left to right across the forehead to the bridge of the nose, around to the underside of the nose and continue down to the mouth, around it, and down to the chin. Finally, reattach the rubber band to the top of the mask with a stapler. You may need to use trial and error to make sure the mask will stay on your head.
Find some black dress shoes that look like the ones that your version of Erik's. Again, you can find them at pretty much any thrift store for a good price.
Get some black gloves (Any type of glove will due except for hand knitted, or hand crocheted). Ones that are a leather type work well for any version of Erik that you are dressing up as. You can also find these at the thrift stores or, you can make them. If you can't afford leather gloves, you can also use ones that are made out of fabric. Example: Cotton, silk, ect...
If desired, you can put make up on the side where the mask will be placed to look like your version of Erik's deformed face. You can do this by using purplish make up to make your eye with the mask off look like it is messed up. You can use red and/or pink make up to make small circles that look like scabs. (You can put the "scabs" any where as long as the mask is hiding all of them!)
Put on the whole outfit and enjoy!
- You can add a Punjab lasso, as this is the Phantom's signature weapon.
- If you wish, you can also add in a red rose with a black ribbon tied around it. Erik would always give Christine a red rose with a black ribbon tied around it after her performances.
- Thrift stores are a good place to look at for most of the costume at a low price.
- In some versions of Phantom of the Opera, Erik wears a black fedora. Add this to the costume for an extra touch.
- If you have bangs (guys or girls), you can either pin them back with black and/or brown bobby pins or put them back with hair shaping moose.
- If you are a girl with long hair, then you can put your hair in a low, loose, bun and tuck it inside of the top hat or the rubber band.
- Look at pictures of Erik if you want to get the look perfect.
- If it is going to be cold on the night you are going to wear the outfit, then a long black over coat can be replaced with the black dress coat.
- DO NOT USE THE PUNJAB LASSO ON ANYONE. You may think that it would be funny to use the lasso on someone. If you attempt to use it on anyone, however, you may find that it may cost them their life.
- Make sure that the mask is covering the make up or it will give away the surprise of a deformed face once you pull off the mask!
- Try not to scare people.
- Don't put on too much make up or it will look fake.
Things You'll Need
- Black cape
- Black dress coat or overcoat
- Black gloves
- Black dress pants
- Black dress shoes
- White dress shirt
- White mask
Optional and Additional Items
- A black top hat
- Make up
- Red rose with a black ribbon on it